As a non-profit, we rely on the generous support of individuals, businesses, and foundations.
The John C. Flanagan House Museum was built in 1837 on Peoria’s east bluff by John C. Flanagan and is the oldest standing house in Peoria. This American Federal style house offers a spectacular view of the Illinois River Valley. John C. Flanagan, a young Philadelphia lawyer, came to settle his father's estate of 600 acres, acquired in 1824 in a trade with Native Americans. John became entranced by the beauty of the Illinois River Valley and decided to settle, build and become a land developer.Designed in the Federal style, a sawmill and brick kiln were built on the property and Native Americans were employed as laborers in the construction. Peoria Historical Society acquired the house in 1962 and it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. Exquisite Empire furnishings and period artifacts are displayed in room settings on two floors. 18th and 19th century Peoria area history exhibits and the story of the Peoria distillery industry are also featured. Special events are held throughout the year.Collections of antique glass, china, furniture, toys, quilts, tools, and vintage clothing are displayed. The house is on the National Register of Historic Places and is owned by the Peoria Historical Society. It is also the headquarters of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR), Peoria Chapter.
Tours and Reception Rental
Contact PHS office 309-674-1921 Reception or meeting rental available
Our Museum Store is open during regular tour hours and by special appointment. Stop by for:* PHS logo merchandise* Peoria and Illinois historical books * Stationery and cards* Baby and children's toys * Gifts for special occasions* Other items too numerous to list
Bring your lawn chairs or blankets and picnic baskets for the best view in Peoria for fireworks viewing. Entrance fee is $5 for adults over 16, $2 for children. Soda, bottled water and popcorn will be available for just $1. Tour the Flanagan house with a new military display and new exhibits in the basement
“Phil” Smith Pens Diary in Which Is Written Day By Day Happenings at Long War of the Rebellion
Peoria Historical Society
611 SW Washington Street
Peoria, Illinois 61602
Copyright © 2011-2013 Peoria Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Website Design by Shane Updyke. Development and Hosting by Stellar Systems, Inc.